[ESP Announcements] Spark 2024 Lottery Results, First-Come First-Served Registration, and Payment/Financial Aid!

Joshua Kuffour spark at mit.edu
Thu Mar 7 15:20:00 EST 2024

TL;DR: Spark Class lottery results are available and Spark
Payment/Financial Aid have opened on the student portal
<http://esp.mit.edu/spark24student>. Sign up (if you haven’t already) and
add/drop classes by Sunday, March 10th!

Hi ESP students!

The second phase of registration for Spark is now open! If you missed the
lottery deadline or want to add another class to your schedule, you can now
do that on the portal until the deadline at 11:59 PM EDT, Sunday, March 10th
!

If you ranked or starred classes during the class lottery, you can also now
see the classes you were assigned on the student portal
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Spark/2024/studentreg>. Before doing so, please
read this entire email, as it contains important information for you to
attend Spark.

Adding and dropping classes

During this phase of registration, you will be able to add any classes that
still have open slots on a first-come first-served basis, or drop classes
you are no longer interested in. You can do this on the student portal
until 11:59 PM EDT on March 10th. Note that our website may be slow to
update, so a class might appear to have room even if it is full. Please be
patient and refresh the page if this happens.

Some classes may be full, but you can check back occasionally — slots might
open up as others add and drop classes. Many classes are filled this year
for Spark, so if you are no longer planning to attend a class, please drop
the class as soon as possible so others may take your spot.

Program Payment, Financial Aid, and T-Shirts

Spark costs $70 regardless of how many classes you’re taking.  If financial
limitations are at all a barrier to attending Spark, we encourage you to
apply for financial aid on the student portal! Otherwise, you can pay by
credit card on the student portal
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Spark/2024/studentreg>before March 10th; after
that, you’ll need to pay by cash or check when you arrive at Spark. If you
wish to preorder a shirt, make sure to select that before paying or
requesting financial aid.

You can preorder a Spark T-shirt for $10 on the website, and you can also
preorder lunch tickets for Saturday and Sunday ($10 each). If you do not
order a T-shirt or meal tickets online, we will have limited quantities
available for purchase on day-of.

Other Logistics

This year, Spark will be fully in-person, with classes taking place on
MIT’s campus. Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer a virtual option to
attend this Spark; you can check out our list of other Spark-like programs
around the country! <https://esp.mit.edu/learn/otheropportunities.html>

Please double-check that you are registered
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Spark/2024/studentreg> for at least one Spark
class before you book travel or lodging. For more information on lodging,
you can go to <https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Spark/hotels.html> for discounts
on hotel rooms.

Final Notes

Information about where to check in day-of and how to attend your classes
will be emailed to you in the week before Spark, so keep an eye on the
email linked to your student account. If you have any questions, feel free
to email us at spark at mit.edu. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best,

Geoffrey and Jessica

Spark 2024 Directors