[ESP Announcements] Student registration for Spark 2024 is open!

Kate Lu spark at mit.edu
Tue Feb 27 09:38:46 EST 2024

TL;DR: Registration has just opened for MIT ESP's Spark 2024, happening
in-person on MIT campus on the weekend of March 16–17! Submit your class
preferences <https://esp.mit.edu/learn24fireants> by Tuesday, March 5.

Hi ESP Students! We’re excited to announce that registration is now open
for Spark 2024!

Spark is a two-day learning extravaganza, open to students in grade 7th
through 10th. Taught by MIT students and community members, Spark this year
features over 100 classes including:

   -

   Sensory Safari: A Brain Exploration
   -

   Geometry and Beauty of Soap Bubbles
   -

   Hanabi
   -

   History of "Mario Kart:" Beginnings and Premodern
   -

   The Strongest Force in the Universe
   -

   Intro to Puzzlehunts
   -

   Boba 101: How to Make Boba!

and many, many more <https://esp.mit.edu/spark2024-catalog>! Join us to
learn just about anything for the weekend at MIT!

Registration

The deadline to register is 11:59PM EST on Tuesday, March 5. Register now
on our website <https://esp.mit.edu/learn24fireants>!

If you want a full schedule (maximum learning!), we recommend ranking at
least 2 classes and starring at least 5 classes per time block. Star the
classes you’re interested in, and rank the classes you’d really like to be
in. All rankings and stars will be entered into the lottery. The lottery is
not first-come first-serve; all students who register before the deadline
will be considered equally. After you get your initial schedule (a few days
after March 5), you will be able to modify it during a first-come
first-serve registration phase.

Cost and Waivers

Attending Spark costs $70 (increased from last year due to higher
per-student costs on our end). We offer generous financial aid and we
strongly encourage anyone who needs it to request aid. Cost should NOT
prevent you from coming to our programs. If you think you or your parents
would have trouble paying to attend, please fill out the financial aid
application when you sign up for a program.

Online payment will open a few days after the lottery closes. After payment
opens, you will have until Sunday, March 10th to pay for the program online
or request financial aid online. After that date, you’ll have to make
payment or request financial aid in-person when you check in to Spark.

Hotels

If you’re coming from far away and would like to stay in a hotel, we’ve
arranged for discounted rates at a few local hotels — visit this page
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Spark/hotels.html> for more information.

Other Logistics

We will send emails to Spark students in the weeks leading up to Spark, so
make sure you regularly check the email address that you registered with.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email spark at mit.edu. Keep up
with all things ESP by following our Instagram account at @mit_esp. Happy
registering, and we hope to see you at Spark 2024!

Best,

Geoffrey and Jessica

Spark 2024 Directors

MIT Educational Studies Program