[ESP Announcements] Student registration for Summer HSSP has just opened!

Tara Sarma summer-hssp at mit.edu
Sat Jun 17 11:13:33 EDT 2023

Tl;dr: Summer HSSP 2023 is happening virtually, every Sunday July 9–August
13. Register now for six Sundays of cool classes!
<https://esp.mit.edu/learnpetrel> Class lottery registration closes June 27.

Bored during summer break? Get ready to embark on a summer adventure that's
cooler than a snow petrel in the South Pole! Introducing Summer HSSP, the
online learning program that combines education with excitement and
exploration. Fly into a world of knowledge and discovery from the comfort
of your own home.

Come take six-week long classes on anything and everything! Take fully
online classes taught by MIT students and community members, on topics as
diverse as:

   -

   Introduction to Theater!
   -

   DIY: Mini Magnetically-Levitated Trains
   -

   Relativity and Black Holes

and many, many more!

Summer HSSP 2023 is a virtual six-weekend program for middle and high
schoolers, open to rising 7th graders to recently graduated 12th graders.
It will run on Sundays from 1 to 4 PM EDT, beginning on July 9th and ending
on August 13th.

Register for classes at <https://esp.mit.edu/learnpetrel>.

Registration

Classes will be assigned by lottery. All class preferences submitted by the
deadline (June 27th) will be treated equally, so take your time to look
through the catalog. More classes will be added after the lottery opens, so
if you check back later, you’ll continue to see new and exciting choices to
add to your schedule!

As you register, we recommend that you star all the classes you’re
interested in (at least 3–5 per block), since having many stars will
increase your chances of a full schedule!

Make sure to rank your classes by the deadline, 11:59 PM EDT on June 27.
Class assignments will be released on our website a few days after the
deadline, after which you’ll be able to see the lottery results, drop
classes, and add more on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Cost

The total cost of attending Summer HSSP is $50, which includes all six
Sundays of classes, regardless of how many classes you are taking.
Financial circumstances should not prevent anyone from attending, so we
offer generous need-based financial aid. The application for financial aid
will open during the first-come-first-served phase of student registration.

Other logistics

Summer HSSP will happen virtually this year through Zoom <https://zoom.us/>.
We will communicate with HSSP students primarily through email in the weeks
leading up to Summer HSSP, so make sure you regularly check the email
address linked to your student account. Since Summer HSSP won’t take place
on MIT’s campus, you can attend from anywhere in the world!

We hope to see you this summer! Go to esp.mit.edu/learnpetrel or email us
at summer-hssp at mit.edu if you have questions about the program.

Best,

Allen, Tara and Vidya

Summer HSSP 2023 Directors