[ESP Announcements] Second Phase of Splash Registration and Lottery Results Released!

Cindy Zhang splash at mit.edu
Thu Nov 3 16:41:27 EDT 2022

TL;DR: First-come first-served registration for Splash is open now. Add and
drop classes on the student portal by November 10th!

The second phase of Splash registration (first-come-first-served) is now
open! If you missed the lottery deadline or want to add another class to
your schedule, you can do so now until 11:59 PM EST on November 10th
on the student
portal <http://esp.mit.edu/crabstudent>!

Unfortunately, MIT policies are imposing a 1500-student limit on Splash
this year. About 1200 students registered in the lottery phase, so we can
still accept new registrations! However, we will have to close registration
if we reach the limit. (Please don’t email us asking about the number of
spots left: if the website still allows you to register, then we haven’t
yet reached the limit.)

Lottery Results

If you entered the Splash class lottery: We were able to accept all
students who entered lottery preferences!

Your preliminary class assignments have now been released, and you can now
view and change your assigned classes on the website. Before doing so,
please read this entire email as it contains important information for you
to attend Splash.

Adding and dropping classes

During this phase of registration, you will be able to add any classes that
still have open slots on a first-come first-served basis, or drop classes
you are no longer interested in. You can do this on the student portal
until 11:59 PM EST on November 10th. Note that our website may be slow to
update, so a class might appear to have room even if it is full. Please be
patient and refresh the page if this happens.

Some classes may be full, but you can check back occasionally - slots might
open up as others add and drop classes. If you are no longer planning to
attend a class, please drop the class on the website so that others may
take your spot.

Transportation and Lodging

Please double-check that you are registered
<http://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/2022/studentreg> for at least one Splash
class before you book travel or lodging. More information about lodging is
available at <https://esp.mit.edu/hotels>.

Liability Waiver

When you check in at Splash, you’ll need to have a waiver signed by a
parent or guardian. This includes emergency contact information, an
acknowledgement of MIT’s COVID policies, and a media release form. The
waiver can be found at <esp.mit.edu/splash2022studentwaiver>, and we
strongly recommend you complete the waiver online before the program,
especially if you will be coming to the program without a guardian.

Program Payment, Meal Tickets, and T-Shirts

You now have the option of reserving and pre-paying for Splash meal tickets
and t-shirts. Three meals will be served at Splash: lunch on Saturday and
Sunday, and dinner on Sunday. Each meal costs $10. Each meal will have
vegetarian and dairy-free options, but we may not be able to accommodate
other dietary restrictions.

You can also preorder Splash t-shirts for $10. If you do not order a shirt
online, we will have limited quantities available to purchase day-of. The
design for this year’s Splash t-shirt is available here
<https://esp.mit.edu/media/splash22_student_shirt_proof.png>!

Please note that you must select all extras (such as meal tickets and
t-shirts) before paying online or requesting financial aid. If you don't
want to pay by credit card, you will be able to pay with cash or by check
when you arrive at Splash.

You may pay for Splash online by credit card by November 10th. The cost of
Splash is $40, but generous financial aid is available. If you wish to
apply for financial aid (which covers the program fee and the cost of meals
and shirts), you may also do so on the web portal.

Walk-in activities

In addition to normal classes, Splash also has walk-in activities, which
are classes designed to let students come and go at any time. You can find
more information about walk-in activities at <
https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/walkinactivities.html>. If you have some
free hours in your schedule, come attend walk-ins!

Other Splashes!

Northeastern University, just across the river from MIT, is holding their
Splash on Saturday, November 12th, a week before our Splash! Check out
their website at <https://neptun.learningu.org/> for more details and to
register. For more Splash programs around the country, take a look at <
https://esp.mit.edu/learn/otheropportunities.html>!

Final Notes

Information about where to check in day-of and how to attend your classes
will be emailed to you in the week before Splash, so keep an eye on the
email linked to your student account. If you have any questions, feel free
to email us at splash at mit.edu. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Best,

Cindy and Li Xuan

Splash 2022 Directors