[ESP Announcements] (Virtual) Splash 2021 registration is now open!

Jessica Pan splash at mit.edu
Thu Oct 28 14:07:37 EDT 2021

Hello ESP Students!

TL;DR: Register to participate in Splash 2021
<https://esp.mit.edu/splashstudent>, happening virtually on the weekend of
November 20th and 21st! Submit your class preferences by Saturday, November
6th.

The moment you’ve been waiting for is finally here! MIT Educational Studies
Program is excited to announce that registration is now open for Splash
2021, taking place virtually on the 20th and 21st of November, 2021.

Splash is a two day learning extravaganza for high school students in
grades 9-12, featuring over 200 classes taught by MIT students on diverse
and fun topics including:

   -

   Get BOPPIN’: Crash Course Songwriting
   -

   Space Medicine: How to Become an Astronaut Doctor
   -

   A Brief History of Memes
   -

   How to Build a Solar Car

and many, many more! Have a look at the Splash class catalog
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/2021/catalog> now, and once you’re
ready, start
the registration process <https://esp.mit.edu/splashstudent>!

Registration

Splash uses a lottery system to assign you to classes. The deadline for
submitting your class preferences is 11:59PM EDT on Saturday, November 6th.
You can follow the instructions on our website
<https://esp.mit.edu/splashstudent> to register!

We recommend ranking at least 3 classes and starring at least 10 classes
per time block to maximize the number of classes you end up with. All
rankings and stars will be entered into the lottery. The lottery is not
first-come first-serve; classes will be assigned after registration has
closed, and all students who register before the deadline (November 6) will
be considered equally. We will release class assignments a few days
later. After
you get your initial schedule, you will be able to modify it by adding and
dropping classes during a first-come first-serve registration phase.

Waivers

In order to attend Splash, students must fill out a waiver
<https://esp.mit.edu/splash2021studentwaiver>. Your full name should match
the first and last name on your account on our website (displayed in the
top right corner). If it doesn’t, please change your name
<https://esp.mit.edu/myesp/profile>to match.  If you do not fill out the
waiver <https://esp.mit.edu/splash2021studentwaiver>, you will not be able
to attend Splash.  Here is a link to access the waiver:
https://esp.mit.edu/splash2021studentwaiver

Cost

There will be a $40 fee to attend Splash. However, ESP offers generous
financial aid and we encourage anyone who needs it to request aid. Once
students get their lottery results, we’ll send out more information via
email on payment and financial aid requests.

We will begin accepting payments a few days after the lottery closes. After
payment opens, you will have until Monday, November 15th to pay for the
program or request financial aid. You will have to complete this step
before you can attend the program, so keep an eye on your email!

Timeline

   -

   November 6th, 11:59 PM: Lottery Closes
   -

   November 11th: First-Come First-Serve Registration Opens
   -

   November 15th, 11:59 PM: First-Come First-Serve Registration Closes
   -

   November 15th: Financial Aid Request/Payment Deadline
   -

   November 20-21st: Splash!

Other Logistics

Due to MIT’s COVID-19 policies, Splash will happen virtually this year
through Zoom. We will communicate with Splash students primarily through
email in the weeks leading up to Splash, so make sure you regularly check
the email address linked to your student account. No part of the Splash
student experience will take place on the MIT campus, which means you can
attend Splash from anywhere in the world!

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email us at splash at mit.edu. Happy
registering, and we hope to see you at Splash 2021!

Best,

Jessica and Josh

Splash 2021 Directors

MIT Educational Studies Program

If you would like to unsubscribe from future emails from us, please look
below.