[ESP Announcements] (no subject)

CJ Quines summer-hssp at mit.edu
Thu Jun 11 11:35:58 EDT 2020

To our students, parents, teachers, and volunteers:

MIT ESP stands in solidarity with local and national Black communities who
are angry, frustrated, and disappointed with the systemic racial injustices
that have persisted throughout history, as highlighted by recent events. As
an MIT student group, we fully stand by the sentiments and call to action
<https://president.mit.edu/speeches-writing/last-nights-vigil> expressed by
MIT’s President L. Rafael Reif.

ESP acknowledges that we have not done enough within our organization and
at our programs to address systemic anti-Black racism. We only acknowledged
this as we began to think about publicity for our summer program. However,
we should have taken action sooner and for reasons that go beyond just
public relations. We will be having internal discussions to educate
ourselves further and hope to share a concrete plan for action with our
community soon.

Feel free to reach out to us at esp at mit.edu.

---

tl;dr: Summer HSSP 2020 is happening from 7/11 to 8/15! Register for six
Saturdays of cool (virtual) classes before June 25!
<https://esp.mit.edu/learn/HSSP/>

Summer HSSP is a six-week program for middle and high schoolers, open to
grades 7–12 (including rising 7th grade and graduated 12th grade). It will
run on Saturdays, beginning on July 11 and ending on August 15, and classes
will be from 12 to 5 PM EDT.

Teachers are zooming in from all over the country to offer you over 90
classes, including:

   -

   Great and Small: Crazy Electrons
   -

   Introduction to Thermal Sciences and How They Can Help Save the World!
   -

   Did We Start the Fire? History from 1949–1989 as Told by Billy Joel's
   ‘We Didn't Start The Fire’

Summer HSSP offers a unique opportunity for you to explore a topic in depth
and interact with other students. Classes this summer will occur virtually
on Zoom, with more details about specific logistics to come later. Check
out the catalog here <https://esp.mit.edu/learn/HSSP/2020_Summer/catalog>
and register for classes at <https://esp.mit.edu/learn/HSSP/>.

Classes will be assigned by lottery. The lottery is not first-come
first-served, so take your time to look through the catalog. You can
express interest in as many classes as you'd like and rank up to three
classes per time block as “priority.” Make sure to pick your classes by the
deadline, 11:59 PM EDT on June 25. Class assignments will be released a few
days afterward by email, after which students can add or drop classes in
the first-come-first-served phase of our registration.

The total cost of attending Summer HSSP is $40, which includes all six
Saturdays of classes. You will only be able to pay after lottery results
are available. We also offer generous need-based financial aid. The
application will open during the first-come-first-served phase of student
registration, and more information about financial aid will be shared then.

We hope to see you this summer! Email us at summer-hssp at mit.edu if you have
questions about the program.

Best,

CJ, Wayne, and Matthew

Summer HSSP 2020 Directors

If you wish to unsubscribe from future emails, please look below.