[ESP Announcements] Splash student registration is now open!

Splash 2013 Directors splash at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 22 20:37:12 EDT 2013

Greetings from the Educational Studies Program!

It's that time of year again: *registration for Splash 2013 is open*! Have
you ever wanted to know more about

* Murder for the Beginner,
* The Things They Don't Tell You in AP Chemistry,
* Mathematical Modeling in Physics,
* Paradoxes of Democracy: Fair Elections and Voting,
* Dungeons and Dragons Optimization,
* The Ear and the Uncertainty Principle, or
* An Introduction to Neuropharmacology?

You can take classes about these, and more than 700 other things, at
Splash! Splash will be running November 23rd and 24th, the weekend before
Thanksgiving, on MIT's campus, for high school students.

*Registering for Splash*

Splash registration is now open! Start the registration process by going to
http://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/student.html. The catalog is located at
http://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/2013/view_classes. As in previous years,
registration will use a lottery system, so there is no advantage to
registering on the first day. Enter your class preferences on our website
before lottery registration closes on *Sunday**, November 3, at 11:59 PM
(EDT)*; all preferences submitted by then will be considered equally.
(Don't wait until the last day to submit your preferences!) By the evening
of November 8, lottery results will be released. Afterwards, you will have
a chance to adjust your schedule from the classes that still have space.

*New this year: Splash is now for high school students only*
*
*
Starting this year, Splash will be for students in grades 9-12. We're
making this change for a number of reasons; more detail is on our website
at http://esp.mit.edu/learn/newgrades.html. Spark, our similar Spring
program, will be for students in grades 7-8.

*New student registration interface*

We've written a new student registration interface, which we hope will
better match the way students want to pick classes. After filling out your
profile and medical paperwork, you'll see an updated catalog interface,
where you can select the classes that interest you. After that, you will be
able to go through our timeblocks, one by one, select your top three class
choices in each, and indicate extra classes that you're interested in. Read
our guide to student registration at
http://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/student.html for more information.
*Splashes at other universities*

MIT ESP is a chapter of Learning Unlimited (LU), a nonprofit that supports
Splash at universities across the country. There may be other LU-affiliated
programs happening near you; check out learningu.org/current-programs for
the Fall 2013 schedule, and consider attending one of our sister programs.
LU also maintains a monthly newsletter with numerous announcements of
Splashes and stories about Splash's growth. You can sign up at their
website, learningu.org.

As always, if you have any questions about any of our programs, feel free
to email us at esp at mit.edu. We look forward to seeing you at Splash!

Best,
The MIT Educational Studies Program