[ESP Announcements] Hello from MIT ESP!

MIT Educational Studies Program esp at mit.edu
Fri Jan 14 11:43:37 EST 2011

Hello from ESP!

The MIT Educational Studies Program (ESP) is a nonprofit student group at
MIT. We offer a wide range of extra-curricular classes for students in
grades 7-12.

This spring, ESP will be running Spark and Spring HSSP. SAT Prep will also
be happening at MIT, but will be run by the Educational Development
Initiative (see details below). We also encourage you to consider attending
Junction next summer, and to also check out some of our sister programs
running across the country in California, New York, Illinois and North
Carolina. Please email us at esp at mit.edu with any questions, or check out
our website,  http://esp.mit.edu/

Ruth Byers

Michele Pratusevich

ESP Chairs

 *Spring HSSP (MIT)*
HSSP is an eight week weekend program that lets students take an in-depth
look at a variety of academic and non-academic subjects. This year, we will
be running a number of classes, including "Reverse Engineering," "Japanese
Culture," and "Intro to Chemistry." We will release a full list of classes
on our website in the next few weeks. HSSP will run every Saturday February
19 - April 16. Classes run throughout the day, students do not have to
attend for the whole day. Student registration will open January 25 at 8:00
PM. Spring HSSP costs $30.

*Spark*
Ever wanted to experience a whirlwind of learning? Spark is a one-day event
featuring hundreds of classes and workshops like "Balloon Animal Making,"
and "The History of London." This year, Spark will run Saturday, March 12.
Student registration will open in mid-February. Spark costs $20, and is
available to students in grades 7-12.

*SAT Prep*

MIT ESP will not be running a low cost SAT Prep Program this spring.
 Another MIT student group, the Educational Development Initiative (EdDI),
is expected to run a similar one. The program will be very similar to the
program run by ESP. The spring session of the program will run every Sunday
from February 13 to May 1. Registration is currently open, you can find out
more here:  http://www.miteddi.org/ or email eddi-satprep at mit.edu with
questions

*Junction*

Junction is a summer program for 9th-12th grade students who want to take a
college-level course over the summer. Student applications will be released
in early February, and due in April. Last year, Junction offered classes on
Economics, Aero/Astro Engineering and philosophy, among other topics.
Junction will have a full course list avaliable in February. Junction will
run from 5pm-9:00pm Mon-Thurs from June 29 to August 11. Junction costs
$600. Last year, the majority of students received some sort of financial
aid.

Other ESP Events Around the Country:

A number of sister programs have sprung up around the country in the past
year or two, coordinated by Learning Unlimited, a nonprofit organization.
There will be a number of events this spring in Illinois, California, New
York and North Carolina. You can find out more about our sister programs
here:

http://learningu.org/current-programs/when-and-where#